X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game will not start

Hi everyone.

Maybe someone else has encountered the same issue:

When starting the game from Oculus Home, the game will not start at all.
    There is no error message, I just get back to Oculus Home after 3-10 seconds.

I red about the "-skiplauncher" addition from steam users, but there is no such option in Oculus Home.

Is there an issue with SDK 1.4?

Thank you very much!

My specs:
    Win 10 (64)
    i7 4770k
    GTX 780 Ti
    Last edited by MTH; 05/26/2016, 04:00 AM.

Would love to upload the .dmp file, but it is empty.

Comment

Thanks for reporting it - we tried to repro on all the different computers in the office and couldn't, but... fortunately a new machine just arrived and is exhibiting similar behavior - we'll look into it when people return on Tuesday.

Comment

I'm having a similar issue. I start DG2 from Oculus Home and only see black through the HMD (true black, not the dark grey you may see when the display's initialized). The desktop program shows only a black screen. The difference for me is it does not immediately quit. It stays open until I close it.

I tried various Windows compatibility modes, but to no avail.

I'm running an AMD 390 and Intel i7 6700k on Windows 10. I'm running the latest AMD Crimson drivers (v16.6.1).
        Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0602.1651.28487
        Driver Packaging Version - 16.20.1025-160602a-303160E
        Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
        2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1558
        Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1197
        OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13440
        OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
        AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.123
        AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
        AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.3
        Vulkan Driver Version - 9.1.0.10.11.0
        Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
        Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
        Device ID - 67B1
        Vendor ID - 1002
        SubSystem ID - 2015
        SubSystem Vendor ID - 1462
        Revision ID - 80
        Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
        Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16
        BIOS Version - 015.048.000.062
        BIOS Part Number - MS-V30823-F5
        BIOS Date - 2015/05/21 04:11
        Memory Size - 8192 MB
        Memory Type - GDDR5
        Memory Clock - 1500 MHz
        Core Clock - 1040 MHz
        Total Memory Bandwidth - 384 GByte/s
        2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Is there a fix yet?

I'm running Windows 10 with an Intel i7-6700K CPU and an Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU made by Zotac (AMP Edition).

Thanks

Comment

There is no fix for it as it isn't a game code problem. The problem described has been identified as an authentication problem with ownership via the Oculus authentication. The game starts to run and gets stuck because Oculus doesn't recognize it as purchased. Restarting the Oculus app or restarting your computer has so far been the way it has resolved for people who have purchased the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
              There is no fix for it as it isn't a game code problem. The problem described has been identified as an authentication problem with ownership via the Oculus authentication. The game starts to run and gets stuck because Oculus doesn't recognize it as purchased. Restarting the Oculus app or restarting your computer has so far been the way it has resolved for people who have purchased the game.
              I've just restarted the Oculus app and tried to open DG2 five times in a row to now avail. I've also restarted my computer multiple times over the past few days.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comment

I just re-formatted my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 10, the previous stable NVIDIA driver (368.39), Oculus, Defense Grid 2 VR, etc.

And still... It won't start :S

It just shows the splash screen for a few seconds while apparently loading, and then goes back to Oculus Home with no error messages or anything else.

Please help.

Thanks

Comment

Is this being looked into at all? It feels a bit bullshit to buy a game that won't even run and then not get any attention from the maker. Refund or fix, preferably fix...

Comment

Wraakh - the problem isn't with the game, it's with the Oculus authentication telling the game it can run. Check with the folks at Oculus, they can help troubleshoot your account in ways we can't and get you running again.

Comment

So here is the problem, and you are by far not alone making this error.

Oculus made this exact problem with their store, SteamVR made this exact problem integrating OpenVR and Defence Grid2VR made this error when setting up the user profile.

I, and many with me, have User directories that contain non ASCII characters, this isn't a big issue since everyone is using UTF8 properly these days... except when they are not.

Oculus will occationally write downloaded textures to their cache directory only to try to load them by accessing a path not encoded with UTF8.

Hidden Path DG2VR installer probably should create a "c:\Users\%username%\Documents\DG2VR_Oculus\<s ome ID>\profile" directory, and if this directory is not present when running DG2VR, it simply won't start. Unfortunately it is trying to create this directory under a badly encoded username, that doesn't exist... so the directory wont get created and that is why the game doesn't start. (oh, and there needs to be a directory named "Save" next to the profile directory as well)

The correct solution to this is of course that these bugs are fixed so people can run their games properly. However, meanwhile it might be useful with a workaround.

I suggest running sysinternals Process Monitor (procmon), filter for the process "DefenseGrid2_Shipping.exe" and see the real path they are trying to read while starting the game.

Instead of creating a new user directory with the botched encoding simply create a symbolic link with that name and link it to your proper user directory. Like so: mklink /d "c:\Users\<Wrong encoded username>" "c:\Users\<Correct username>"

It seems like you have to re-pair your Oculus remote after doing this for some reason. Or maybe that was just me.

Anyways, I now got it running again, and the bug is on you Hidden Path, even if the others are making the same mistake in other places. Please learn encoding properly and add unit tests and update your coding guidelines.
                      Last edited by wraakh; 09/01/2016, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks much for this wraakh. It completely helps us repro the issue. Interestingly we do handle double byte character strings in our filename directory structure, but there does in fact appear to be a bug in that process some of the time. We're looking into getting a fix for it now. Thanks a lot for helping identify the problem more clearly. All we had prior to this was a fail in the authentication coming from Oculus. There also might be a second problem, because some users who report this, also report having it work the next day and then continue working. If they were running into this situation, that wouldn't be the case, so we'll keep an eye out for multiple issues.

Comment

DG2 VR for Rift has been updated today. It should fix that issue.

Comment

I have just installed DG2 VR and the problem described above is still occurring.
                            Did you apply the fix to the current version or is there an additional fix i need to apply?

Comment

Working...
                            X